Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How Did You Start Sailing?

I am asked this question over and over and it is good one. How many sailors can say that one of their kids got them into it? Usually it is Mom an Dad that get you into sailing lessons and you go from there. Well, my oldest son Bill, took me for a sail from Seattle to Victoria, BC on his new 40' sailboat. He taught me how to read a chart and how to do dead reckoning while we were underway. I loved learning some navigation and have never forgotten it. We sailed all night with the tide and arrived at our destination early in the morning to the dawn of a beautiful day in a very charming city. I had so much fun that I joined a sailing club and my sailing life has grown from that first experience to achieving my sailing instructor certification and a USCG Masters license. It goes to show that what we make out of life starts with baby steps!